91.8 The Fan - Forums

91.8 The Fan - Forums (http://918thefan.com/forums/index.php)
-   Television (http://918thefan.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (http://918thefan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1950)

Amui 02-19-2011 06:39 AM

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
 
This thread is for all My Little Pony fans, and any Bronies that want to make a contribution to an epic thread.
If you haven't already seen My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic you should catch it on The Hub (a new discovery channel), you'd be completely surprised at just how mature and respectable this show is, Lauren Faust (the creator) truly put a lot of love and planning into it, It is not your normal kiddy show by a long-shot.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14...7540431350.jpg

EagleEyes 02-19-2011 06:41 AM

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
 
I ................ Yeah i have nothing <.<

jessileo127 02-19-2011 06:43 AM

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
 
Lol Amui... Im shocked....

Amui 02-19-2011 06:49 AM

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
 
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14...2424552250.png

You'd be seriously surprised if you sat down and watched it, It truly is a great show worth commending.

Jubilee 02-19-2011 11:32 AM

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
 
*Backs Away*

...

http://www.determinismsucks.net/arch...570007695).gif

Kibs 02-23-2011 10:24 PM

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
 
#ah here's the thing;

It's one thing to say that a show is good, but the juxtaposition of it being a franchise for little girls against good animation, a decent plot, and Tara Strong just makes it seem a lot better than it really is.

That coupled with the fact that there's an ostricization mentality with those people who enjoy the show for what it is, because most people don't really care how good a show it, they simply don't think it's healthy for grown men to watch a show about ponies and question those who do causes people to seek out others who like the same things, and band together in the name of not feeling weird.

The only issue is that a majority of those people are weird, and as there is no set leader in the community, the standard for normalcy is only as high as the lowest member's standard. Thus the mentality of the community regarding actions and tastes eventuates into a downward spiral of oddities and bad behavior.

IE Narutards

So in essence, the more people tease people for liking the show, the more people will tell themselves they like the show. Giving themselves a false sense of obsession, and claiming that anyone who doesn't like it just doesn't get it.

But I have showed that I get it, and still don't like it. #hand

/Thread

Amui 02-24-2011 06:46 AM

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibs (Post 27364)
#ah here's the thing;

It's one thing to say that a show is good, but the juxtaposition of it being a franchise for little girls against good animation, a decent plot, and Tara Strong just makes it seem a lot better than it really is.

That coupled with the fact that there's an ostricization mentality with those people who enjoy the show for what it is, because most people don't really care how good a show it, they simply don't think it's healthy for grown men to watch a show about ponies and question those who do causes people to seek out others who like the same things, and band together in the name of not feeling weird.

The only issue is that a majority of those people are weird, and as there is no set leader in the community, the standard for normalcy is only as high as the lowest member's standard. Thus the mentality of the community regarding actions and tastes eventuates into a downward spiral of oddities and bad behavior.

IE Narutards

So in essence, the more people tease people for liking the show, the more people will tell themselves they like the show. Giving themselves a false sense of obsession, and claiming that anyone who doesn't like it just doesn't get it.

But I have showed that I get it, and still don't like it. #hand

/Thread



Aw, that's okay Kibs, I understand and respect your opinion and while I do not fully agree with your assessment of the situation I can honestly say you do not fully get the meaning of this show to many people.

Quote:

The only issue is that a majority of those people are weird, and as there is no set leader in the community, the standard for normalcy is only as high as the lowest member's standard. Thus the mentality of the community regarding actions and tastes eventuates into a downward spiral of oddities and bad behavior.
Okay, so where is the Anime fandom's so called "leader"? the VA's? Funimation? If that is so then I propose Lauren Faust is our leader.
Additionally, we may be "weird" to you, But if you call liking something for what it is then sure. I'm weirder than the 40-something men that wear Sailor Moon costumes, or the NEETs in Japan that collect 3 of the same figurine.
But I digress, this isn't an Anime/Video Games website is it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibs
That coupled with the fact that there's an ostricization mentality with those people who enjoy the show for what it is, because most people don't really care how good a show it, they simply don't think it's healthy for grown men to watch a show about ponies and question those who do causes people to seek out others who like the same things, and band together in the name of not feeling weird.

Maybe you should see this first...(Fyre-Flye is Lauren Faust btw)


"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; These things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.

And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptons. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was´╗┐ ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

~C. S. Lewis"


Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibs
But I have showed that I get it, and still don't like it. #hand

Alright, nobody is forcing you to like it. BUT I am proud of you for atleast trying it...



SO In closing, I'm not mad Kibs, Just very disappointed.

But I still love you all <3

Jubilee 02-24-2011 07:57 AM

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
 
If it was called "My Little Palm Tree: Friendship is Magic" I would be more inclined to watch it. #darling

Unfortunately, Horses, (And I lump ponies/unicorns into this group as they are related by blood(shed)) are agents of evil. Their only purpose on this earth is to cause mass devastation, anguish, pain, destruction, death, war, and most importantly, deforestation.

I think this show proves my point.

These ponies are rainbowing this world into madness. There is not even one plant featured in any of these shots.

So, I shall plant a flower,


Let this serve as a true sign of friendship...before it is ruthlessly murdered by a Pony/Horse/Unicorn for their own personal advancement. #bawww

jessileo127 02-24-2011 09:19 AM

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
 
Okay, I sat down and watched... Before I knew it I was at the Dragonshy episode, me mum walks in on me and is like "I thought you got over ponys when you were seven" I was like "This is a different type of my little pony... This one hasn't got the obnoxious voices like Baby heart-throb and stuffs like that... Look its even drawn different..." she actually backed away slowly and shook her head...
I have to say Amui is right to be posting this everywhere and anywhere its actually pretty good... P.S I am So showing the lil'in I babysit this hopefully it will get her out of the Duck trend shes in atm lol

For Pony!!!!

nerdwerld 02-24-2011 07:39 PM

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
 
I sat down and watched this show on a whim. It wasn't because everyone else was watching it. I actually enjoy the show and think its plot and dialogue is quite high despite it being demographically for a younger audience... but there is the thing. Shonen anime targets young males, but you can have the 50 year old salary man watching One Piece.
This show has surprised me not only for its artstyle, the problem solving itself that the characters do are quite relevant to what is happanening in the world. So the show teaches children about friendship, but also other important values and mores. These values and mores have vanished in most america media especially cartoons. So not only is it a learning experience it is also entertaining, fun to look at, and a great show. ... that is the two cents from the nerd who listens to jpop next too the heaviest metal at a local metal show.

mahay 02-24-2011 08:04 PM

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nerdwerld (Post 27380)
I sat down and watched this show on a whim. It wasn't because everyone else was watching it. I actually enjoy the show and think its plot and dialogue is quite high despite it being demographically for a younger audience... but there is the thing. Shonen anime targets young males, but you can have the 50 year old salary man watching One Piece.
This show has surprised me not only for its artstyle, the problem solving itself that the characters do are quite relevant to what is happanening in the world. So the show teaches children about friendship, but also other important values and mores. These values and mores have vanished in most america media especially cartoons. So not only is it a learning experience it is also entertaining, fun to look at, and a great show. ... that is the two cents from the nerd who listens to jpop next too the heaviest metal at a local metal show.

Thank you, nerd for actually bringing this back to what this board is actually supposed to be about, instead of just making it a second front on the pony war.

nerdwerld 02-24-2011 09:23 PM

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mahay (Post 27383)
Thank you, nerd for actually bringing this back to what this board is actually supposed to be about, instead of just making it a second front on the pony war.

Though I like the show, I'm sorry I may have to turn this thread into a sabotage for a certain saurian!

Snapplemonkey 03-02-2011 09:07 PM

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
 
I watched the two first episodes of this show. I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it as well.

It had some funny moments but only due to animation oddities or just weird crap happening. Other than that it was just sappy girly childish lecturing with pretty colors.

Sure it's becoming popular to "like" because it's a meme on 4chan and it has funny pictures with funny caption, but that doesn't make the show great.

[EDIT]: I want to emphasize that this is my opinion, and from a female child point of view it would probably be a good show. But the only reason why I can see a show like this being popular with the more grown up crowd is due to the oddities of the show.

Kayarath 04-13-2011 09:24 PM

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
 
Here is a link to put some pony magic into your RPGing!

EagleEyes 04-14-2011 04:00 AM

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapplemonkey (Post 27648)
I watched the two first episodes of this show. I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it as well.

It had some funny moments but only due to animation oddities or just weird crap happening. Other than that it was just sappy girly childish lecturing with pretty colors.

Sure it's becoming popular to "like" because it's a meme on 4chan and it has funny pictures with funny caption, but that doesn't make the show great.

[EDIT]: I want to emphasize that this is my opinion, and from a female child point of view it would probably be a good show. But the only reason why I can see a show like this being popular with the more grown up crowd is due to the oddities of the show.

^^^ this.

grimdefeat 04-14-2011 05:33 PM

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
 
yeah watched one episode it had its cheap laughs now and then but other than that I just did not find much enjoyment out of it. I just think that its a bit too cute for my taste.

Bargain Gamer 04-14-2011 07:06 PM

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
 
Hm, I'm kind of torn here. On the one hand, I kind of like being regarded as a somewhat normal human being, with things like decency and respect. On the other hand, I don't know which I love more, this show or the community that's spawned around it.

Seriously though, I've probably gotten just as much enjoyment from watching my fellow bronies in action then I have watching the show, and that's saying something. For the love of God, this fandom actually has me reading fan fiction for the first time in almost a decade, and you want to know the scary part? Some of it's actually half decent! #ohdear

Anyway, that's enough self destruction for one night. Back to playing burly games of manliness! >:D

Jubilee 04-14-2011 07:54 PM

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
 
I have only one response to all of you,


Jarexrose 04-19-2011 05:04 AM

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
 
Ponys RULEZ!!!!!! XD #kon

Rhetorical Gamer 04-19-2011 08:34 AM

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
 
I just wanted to see what was all the hoopla about these ponies......and I love em especially Futtershy shes so so cuuuuuuute! :>


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.