91.8 The Fan - Forums

91.8 The Fan - Forums (http://918thefan.com/forums/index.php)
-   Previous Gen (http://918thefan.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   [Discussion] [PSP] Tales of Phantasia (http://918thefan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1105)

Psytrin 07-06-2010 12:43 AM

[PSP] Tales of Phantasia

I'm going to assume that most of you know about the Tales games series (eg., Tales of Symphonia 1 and 2, Tales of Vesperia).

Tales of Phantasia has a similar playing style to the newer and more popular Tales games, but instead, uses a 2D, side-to-side fighting style. The spells and special attacks are mostly similar to the latest games, such as Eruption, Sword Rain, Nurse, etc.

Originally, this game was released on the Super Famicom, or SNES. This game has been remade on other platforms, the Super Nintendo, Gameboy Advance, and Playstation. The Playstation Portable, however, was the only one to feature Voice Acting (Tales of Phantasia: Full Voice Edition), and, there is yet another remake slated to come out this year on the PSP (Tales of Phantasia Cross).

The game in my opinion is just really addicting, in story, battle style, and dungeons and maps. It's not so short that you can finish it within a day, and it's not so long that you can't finish it within a few weeks. On another note, as with four other Tales games, this too
has an anime adaption.

Seriously, this game was released in 1995 originally, and is still having remakes after 15 years. Frankly, it's just a great game.

Does anyone else have the same opinion?

Kibs 07-06-2010 03:19 PM

Re: [PSP] Tales of Phantasia

it's a great game, and I'm looking forward to the new one, however your examples of Tales games leave me distraught.

Symphonia 2 sucked, hard, Legendia was a better game and legendia sucked #hand. Vesperia lures you in with pretty graphics, then hits you over the head with a terrible battle/abilities system and a storyline that makes even the most patient people yell at the pink-haired menace to sanity, you spend 1/4 of the game as Yuri before you actually get a good character to use in battle.

Abyss is where it's at, yo. #triumph

Edit: also there are technically 5 animations for Tales games, Vesperia has a movie

Psytrin 07-07-2010 06:42 AM

I was implying that in total there are 5 anime adaptions. Phantasia, Eternia, Symphonia, and Abyss + the first Vesperia movie/episode type thing.

But yes, Vesperia did suck, and Symphonia 2 was a disappointment.

Amui 07-07-2010 08:21 AM

What, am i the only one that loved Vesperia? you guys just lost 2 points on my coolometer.
I'll probably pick this one up whenever it comes out.

Kate 07-07-2010 09:09 PM

I've seen all the Tales of adaptions (yes, even the Vesperia movie) and still awaiting the new Tales of Symphonia episode. I've been a very patient fan.

I loved Vesperia! I mean, Estelle annoyed me so much. I kinda brushed this off. Now, if you wanted a healer, Raven is your man. Though, I was mostly Judith. Best character for me. Also, I agree with Kibs and Psytrin. Symphonia 2 was a disappointment in my eyes. I still play it from time-to-time, but just with my family.

On topic, I'm probably gonna get this game as well. Currently only have 1 game for my PSP. Really NEED a new game for this handheld. Wanted Tales of VS, but gonna need to import that.

Tsundere 07-14-2010 03:01 PM

I love the tales series but seeing that I am british I have only played symphonia, vesparia, a psp one and a very broken version of phantasia (the gba version). I envy you AMERICANS as you got abyss and I really want to play that T_T. Personally my favourite one was symphonia but I do think that the anime adaption is TERRIBLE same with the phantasia and eternia ones. I have yet to see the vesparia one but I did really like the abyss adaption of vesparia.