91.8 The Fan - Forums

91.8 The Fan - Forums (http://918thefan.com/forums/index.php)
-   Literature (http://918thefan.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Stephen King (http://918thefan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1843)

Jubilee 01-30-2011 08:05 PM

Stephen King

So, as he is one of my favorite authors, I thought I would start up a thread for people to discuss. (I know there are other fans of him besides me...like Kana :awesome:)

Anyways, bring up whatever you like.

I will start with the obvious question of which is your favorite work by him...

Personally, my favorite story of his is The Shining. Now, if you have only seen the original movie, it it a completely different story, and I highly recommend the novel (not to say I didn't enjoy Kubrick's version). On the flip side, the TV mini-series that King produced lacked the good quality...but it followed the story he wrote a bit more closely.

Apparently, axes are more dramatic/terrifying than hammers. I think the hammer was just as scary in the book though. (Also, this brings up a thought...They replace the hammer with an axe in The Shining movie, and they replace the axe with a hammer in the film version of Misery...and I just noticed this as I wrote. #stare)

Anyways, it is a grand story, and really lets you feel the terror. In fact, I think I will read it again soon.

I also like the Dark Tower quite a bit...but, that could be a whole other topic in and of itself :ha:.

gannon133 01-30-2011 08:28 PM

Re: Stephen King

Yes, I do love Stephen King's books

I had to read "The Shining" first to see what all the fuss is about with him as a horror author. Better than the movie IMO.

I also read his short stories in the book "Different Seasons"

I am trying to find the book called "The Green Mile" that has all parts of it in one big book format.

Not yet seen the other movies that are based around his stories though

Kanashimi 01-30-2011 08:29 PM

Ugh, so hard to pick a favorite. When I was first exposed to Stephen King my favorite book was Salem's Lot, but it seems like a novel that feels less engaging the more time that goes on.

In terms of The Shining I actually really adored the rather lengthy TV mini-series, I gotta admit it was a nice adaption of the whole thing. The characters weren't as liked in the movie, for example the kid really bothered me in the mini-series, but the father was a good character.

Another TV adaption I liked was kingdom Hospital, and there's so much good music in that! Also, it felt like a completed story with some modern twists that didn't alienate many of King's movie adaptations.

But yeah... favorite book now, hrmmm... There's a few I'm fond of, but if I had to pick one for now I'll say Cell since I thoroughly enjoyed that book and it used a concept that seemed realistic enough as you can generally get.

Also, since this is a general Stephen King topic, I'd like to bring up It. I still think it's amazing to this day, but lately noticed it's gotten a bit of slack around the internet. Sorta curious on people's opinions of the TV series and book.

soundbreaker 01-31-2011 06:37 AM

Honestly, I've never read his books, but I've quite enjoyed some of the movies and shows that were adapted from them. The Kingdom Hospital Series was especially interesting, The Dead Zone was alright, Carrie was good, Christine was just funny, and The Lawnmower Man was alright for its time.

Above all, I most enjoyed The Shawshank Redemption, Stand By Me, and The Green Mile. Definitely my three favourite Stephen King related movies.

moonhawk81 01-31-2011 11:40 AM

I really do enjoy The Dark Tower series, although The Eyes of the Dragon is probably my favorite individual book of his.

Jubilee 01-31-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonhawk81 (Post 26368)
The Eyes of the Dragon

That is a great book! :awesome:

I like how he tried to explore outside of horror as well...as he did a really awesome job with that one...So clever it is.

As for the Dark Tower, I still need to finish 5-7, but I am super psyched for the movies coming out! ... I am just curious to see how they are going to do it in a trilogy...that news disturbs me just a bit. #stare

grimdefeat 01-31-2011 12:00 PM

i havent gotten a chance to read any of his books yet but ive been really interested
and yes he does have an epic beard

mahay 02-10-2011 11:03 PM

I guess he's a fine author, my mother seems to like him well enough,

but someone needs to tell him that is just not the right beard for his face shape. He looks that ape from the movie "Evolution" ( I hope someone's seen that movie, it's fairly funny yet decidedly cliche)

ZshadowX 02-11-2011 05:45 PM

Stephen King?

More like the King of Horror! mwhahahahahaha.........

~ i only read and watched "Carrie"

Gatx 02-13-2011 10:20 PM

I've never read any of his books, just watched a few movies and what not based off of them. I've always gotten the impression that he was a horror writer (you can't blame me, for how his movies are advertised), but everything of his that I've seen has usually had some kind of depth. For example, when "Dreamcatcher" came out I was under the impression it was a typical horror story about a couple guys staying in a mountain cabin, and it ended up being more epic than I had imagined.

Same for "the Mist", which I thought was going to be similar to "the Fog". Instead I was pleasantly surprised by some of the Lovecraftian elements of the monsters (especially the last one), and noticed similarities to Half-Life (which from my understanding drew inspiration from the novel).