PDA

View Full Version : Anime diverges from Manga

Shadows_Revenge
12-18-2009, 01:38 PM
So I just finished the Needless anime, and it really ticked me off that they completely diverged from the manga. This is my stance, I personally dont read many mangas as I dont have much time to read as it is (try to atleast get in 1 book a month) So when I sit down to watch an anime, I am almost completely at the whim of the directors as to take their version of the IP as how the original creator intended. But it pisses me off when I find out that the anime completely goes off from the manga.

Now I understand why (maybe the manga is continuing, or some things just arent for televison) but why not just wait till its done, or skip those scenes? To me it looks like they are just trying to cash in on the popularity of the manga so quickly, that they trip themselves up and have to patch up the work.

Filler is another thing that ticks me off. They should of just waited till the manga is over or about to be over to start the anime. They push for anime to cash in on the popularity, but why would the love of the manga be any less right when its about to end? They instead throw themselves into seemingly never ending storylines and re-hashed drama to try to extend their profits or waste time for the creators to finally get done. It kills shows [as seen in Haruhi and Naruto (they had to make a new show)] and just pulls more non-anime watchers away from anime in general.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

EagleEyes
12-18-2009, 01:56 PM
I would normally agree. But there are some cases such as Air gear when the anime is ALOT better than the manga even though it doesn't follow the entire story.

Edit: Also it must be known that filler is horrible.

Shadowblade Edge
12-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Well I just lost the long version of what I said, but basically I disagree with everything you said. Also how was Haruhi "killed", if you will?

Elk
12-19-2009, 01:00 AM
I haven't seen Haruhi, but I would assume by "killing Haruhi" it would be Endless Eight. I've heard things.

Personally, I don't think I've watched an anime that surpassed the manga, and I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any that even equal the manga. The only benefit to an anime is fight scenes, and those are done well enough in manga to not make up for everything else lacking.

Bonediddly
12-19-2009, 10:26 AM
But there are some cases such as Air gear when the anime is ALOT better than the manga even though it doesn't follow the entire story.
The manga must be really bad, in that case.

Full Metal Alchemist was awesome despite diverging from the manga (which I haven't read...).

EagleEyes
12-19-2009, 02:42 PM

Full Metal Alchemist was awesome despite diverging from the manga (which I haven't read...).

You insulted Air Gear............

Im sorry Bones, I now have to break your legs :(

Shadows_Revenge
12-20-2009, 03:24 AM

but now they are going back and re-doing it... it just doesnt make sense to me that they couldnt of waited for the manga to finish to start the anime series. Also the reason the original anime was so go was because the creator had full power over its direction. So the original anime seemed smooth, but then the creator wanted something different for the manga

Elc1247
12-21-2009, 01:04 AM
when anime diverge from the manga, thats when the producers have to be very careful, since thats where most series mess up, there are times that it works out splendidly though, like in Full Metal Alchemist

Kanashimi
12-21-2009, 01:25 PM
I generally look at anime and manga as two separate entities considering the two become vastly different from one another. I very rarely read manga, and there's only a handful of series I've read because the anime let me down. Specifically Kare Kano is a good example due to the fact the series isn't finished in its anime format, but is actually left high and dry due to creator disagreements. Ouran High School Host Club did much the same thing. These are the type of stories I feel enhance the anime.

I hate looking at one is better then the other because they're entirely different mediums. Moving pictures and vocal work might give a better feeling to some scenes in comparison to beautiful art and great storytelling. It's really just a matter of perspective.

As for filler, it is bound to happen with huge shows like One Piece or Naruto. Then again, what anime in this world needs over 500 episodes about pirates or ninjas?! Really. D< I don't have to deal with fillers very often considering that I don't watch a lot of shounen anime, and that's generally the genre that suffers from filler the most. If filler ever bores you, or you suspect filler, then it's probably time to wait for the manga on your own.

Llian
12-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Mangas to me are usually better than most animes. They have their storyline straight and what they put it place works. Sometimes there have been animes that do well on their on (eg FMA). But I feel it all boils down to personal taste. I, for one, would rather read a manga than watch an anime, but that's just me.

Kercon
12-31-2009, 04:14 PM
I don't see anything bad when maga and anime goes different roads but it goes for one if ...
If some one change the plot or story for worse ... sometimes I want too kill that guys ... If you need example Rosario + Vampire for god sake first series ended when the maga rips of and capu 2 was sick joke T_T how they could f.... so good manga ( bloody tears )

Oni
01-02-2010, 12:42 AM
but now they are going back and re-doing it... it just doesnt make sense to me that they couldnt of waited for the manga to finish to start the anime series. Also the reason the original anime was so go was because the creator had full power over its direction. So the original anime seemed smooth, but then the creator wanted something different for the manga
It has to do purely with the popularity of the manga at the time.

Also, you make it seem like every manga-ka is a genius that can totally direct an anime to perfection. I call BS on this.

DJ M.O.T.D
01-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Sometimes i like Anime that end completely different to the manga. It almost makes you feel like your watching a "Alternative Path" like in a Visual Novel.

Shin_No_Kokoro
01-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Having read manga first and then watching animes it's like the manga is the real thing and anime is like an alternate ending kind of thing. This proves to be the truth for most of the time, however when there are things like games that also fall somewhere in the story line everything gets messed. If you take Fate Stay Night as an example you will really find yourself wondering which one is the original story which one is the adaptation, it took me awhile to figure it out.

Halfmetal-lich
01-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Filler is always going to be around unless the Japanese companies decide to completely rewrite their broadcasting schedule. As of now, the companies that make the anime buy their time slot, not like American companies which do the opposite. (I may be wrong in this.)

We have to remember, that they have to make an entire 30-min episode out of about 19-25 pages. Sometimes for certain shows, this is not possible and fights are dragged out. I'm looking at you Bleach.

One or two episode filler is never bad, in fact it can be quite fun to watch, especially after coming out of a serious and action packed arc. I mean, who didn't laugh in Naruto, when they tried to get Kakashi's mask off? It's these long Filler ARCS that people hate, Bleach is probably the worst offender of this I know, completely stopping in the middle of story arcs for filler.

I don't see Filler going away any time soon, but thankfully, it seems to be getting better and better.

*takes a moment to catch his breath*

As for animes diverging from manga. I have to agree that I look at animes as we look at books like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter becoming movies. They are simply adaptions of the source material. Sometimes there are circumstances and the anime must be different. If we look at Full Metal Alchemist, the reason the first series became so different was because the writer wanted the animators to work separate from here, so not to feel pressure to chug out chapter after chapter.

I don't like it when the anime differs from the manga, but it hasn't always been bad. I still enjoy the first series of Full Metal, even though I prefer Brotherhood due to the "true story."

Elk
01-10-2010, 01:24 PM
I have to agree that I look at animes as we look at books like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter becoming movies. They are simply adaptions of the source material.

You would find a lot of LoTR fans and HP fans who disagree with that statement vehemently.

Loki
01-12-2010, 07:29 PM
worst divergence in history for me was Claymore...

TheGreatMoof
01-13-2010, 09:38 AM
I think that first Fullmetal Alchemist anime is a pretty strong case for how to do divergence right, as it'll probably be remembered as one of the most awesome anime ever made up until this point. However, a lot of times, it seems the animation studios just go and do some pretty bizarre things with their story and end it all different and wholly worse. Of course, the other option (for longer shows, at least) is to do a ton of filler full of fail. Like Naruto. Seriously, that show can just go die and get sent to a special part of Hell.

Oni
01-13-2010, 04:33 PM
FMA being good? Yes.

FMA being the most awesome anime made up until this point? ...Strongly disagreeing there.

Naruto is still going to successful, whether you like it or not. The fact that we don't like it doesn't make it bad, believe it or not.

Shippuuden, however (at least at the beginning) had terrible production values.

TheGreatMoof
01-14-2010, 12:55 AM
FMA being good? Yes.

FMA being the most awesome anime made up until this point? ...Strongly disagreeing there.

Naruto is still going to successful, whether you like it or not. The fact that we don't like it doesn't make it bad, believe it or not.

Shippuuden, however (at least at the beginning) had terrible production values.

On the FMA thing, I have relatives and acquaintances who absolutely HAET anime; these are the kinds of people who would catch me watching Fruits Basket, Bleach, or whatever else I was watching and just quickly get turned off. I got pretty much all of them to at least sorta like Fullmetal Alchemist's first series, and simply by that merit, it gets two gold stars and a slice of apple pie.

As for Shippuuden, doesn't it still have pretty crap production values? At least for a show being broadcast in what is ostensibly 1080 resolution.

Zero Gravity
01-20-2010, 10:18 PM
i hate how Animes nowadays are catching up to mangas therefore theres nothing but near endless fillers...
FMA Brotherhood is catching up to it's manga, I would much rather they just end Brotherhood at a specific point and pick it up next season, like Gundam 00 did with S2

Sheep
01-23-2010, 07:34 AM
Well for me it depends on the series if they stick to the manga or not.

Like take the re-make of Negima! (the one with the ? at the end)

That didn't follow the manga at all, in fact they had to make a spin off manga for it. I thought it was one of the best copy's of the Negima series in anime form. Then again that series gave more screen time to the small characters in the class, and still used the same designs and characters from the manga. (even if some hair and eye colors where changed)

Or take Umineko if you want a more rage induced answer

They tried to keep all the important scenes in that, that kind of failed when they gave almost all of the 4th arc's screen time to pointless scenes that could have been done in 10's mins tops not the full episode. Plus they kind of ruined how some of the characters act because they cut all the scenes with development for them.

Still some copy's of a anime turn out better then the manga or light novel it's pasted off of. I for one loved the Spice and Wolf anime, and when I read the novel I kind of thought it worked better as a anime.

Stone
01-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Actually I like when the anime diverges from the manga, as it gives often a different point of view n the manga, like what Negima!? did, I really liked how they finally gave some of my most favorite girls in the class more screen time and gave them a personality, even used in the manga now.

Zero Gravity
01-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Actually I like when the anime diverges from the manga, as it gives often a different point of view n the manga, like what Negima!? did, I really liked how they finally gave some of my most favorite girls in the class more screen time and gave them a personality, even used in the manga now.

I sorta decided to use that in a possible Manga/anime I wanted to do, like I wasn't gonna think much into it in the manga but if it ever turned into an anime I would have it do more character background

Oni
01-24-2010, 04:18 PM

However, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_x_45Xwnkk) was a pristine failure. It left out too much and came to a grinding halt way too fast.

Sheep
01-24-2010, 05:00 PM
However, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_x_45Xwnkk) was a pristine failure. It left out too much and came to a grinding halt way too fast.

Don't bring up that failure of a anime for Negima!. They ruined the Kyoto arc, one of the best arcs in the series got two episodes to tell the whole arc :mad:

Now the OVDs are god tier :awesome: Shaft has out done them selfs for how well they can stick to the manga. To bad the Summer training arc and the Magical world arc are getting about 5 hours of anime time. The movie is going to be godly though

At least all the copy's of the anime are better then the god awful live action series.

Oni
01-25-2010, 06:55 PM
Live Action series? Japanese Harry Potter?

That's what I thought.

Sheep
01-27-2010, 07:23 PM
It's nothing close to that. I think only the first episode or two got subbed before any sub group working on it just quit it was that bad.

I mean they screwed up pretty bad with the live action series. It's like they took the first anime, made it live action, didn't even bothered with the hair, or anything thing else and just butchered the plot and made it all low budget.