Good evening to all those in the land of 91.8 The Fan. EagleEyes here, bringing you another dose of the Bi-wEEkly Round Table. This week we discuss dubs, cosplay, villains and POKEMON, oh my. So check out EagleEyes’ Round Table, and have your voice heard.
wEEkly award – wEEk 3:
That Time of the Month Award
Manga that are released monthly - Maybe it’s because I am impatient and need a higher dose of Black Lagoon. But waiting so long for releases makes me depressed. And when you look at how long it can take, you would be too.
Part 1) Manga produced in japan – One release every month is just not good enough.
Part 2) The Manga awaits so many releases before an English version is released – Meaning it’s about a year and a half until it’s release over here.
Part 3) An Anime based on manga is produced – We are about 2 and a half years after the manga now.
Part 4) Anime is dubbed in English – And three years later the final product is here.
End result) EagleEyes waits for three years and is a sad panda. So take this award monthly Manga artists. I hope you are happy that you make me cry myself to sleep T.T
Now for the Round Table rules: As usual each participant is given 6 questions covering various aspects in anime, manga and Japanese culture. Each individual then has to provide their opinion on the said issue. Finally I mix them together and simmer on low heat and the Round Table is born.
Our Participants today are:
LiteSpeed - Must be illegal
Drago - Still awaiting a wall scroll
Amui - Always around
Camajak - Like Yugi but different
Sogeking - Is Sailing In
Oni - The other Australian
Bonediddly - In the house
Which anime is in need of an English dub and American release? What is your reasoning for this?
• LiteSpeed - Starting out with an interesting one. There are 3 potential anime I can think of, amusingly all series that I happen to be watching. They are Heroman, Durarara, and K-On.
Heroman is set in America and it’s made by Stan Lee, what more can I say? A dub would be awesome.
Durarara – is probably one of the best anime I’ve seen recently with a really interesting storyline and a fantastic group of characters. Aside from which, Bacanno! has been dubbed, so why not Durarara? (Also, would it not be great to hear that name in English? x3)
Finally, K-On, the monstrous anime that’s pretty much taken over Japan with it’s moe-ness. There’s some great music in there, and seeing as I love BECK so much, I think K-On could be pretty interesting.
• Drago - I can’t choose any anime to be dubbed because I, for one, am not a fan of dubbed anim,e the one and only anime that I would say was an ok dub would have to have been hellsing.
• Amui - Gintama, holy carpet monkeys, Gintama please, it’s already such a huge and popular series that’s bound to do well in the States, but I’ve yet to see a dub.
• Camajak - Well, I would say Shugo Chara. Every other anime that isn’t dubbed yet that I’m a fan of is either being dubbed, or has plans to be dubbed. But, Shugo Chara is absolutely adorable, and I think it deserves a nice lil’ American Release.
• Sogeking - I would have to choose Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei. From watching the subs of it, I didn’t even realize they had never dubbed it over here, most likely because of having a suicidal teacher and heavy references to Japanese culture…naming a few. I liked it and was able to enjoy the story very well *The openings are very unique =D* I think they could dub it and keep a lot of the references since it would most likely be bought by people who have a better understanding of Japanese culture than most. I’ll definitely buy the box set when it finally comes out.
• Oni - Hm, I would have to say that the anime “Lovely Complex” needs an English dub and American release. Why? It’s a great amateur romance that’s also pretty wacky. More or less, it’s already a well established series, so I’m sure it would be well received…as long as Viz Media doesn’t pick it up and release it like they did NANA. -shudders-
• Bonediddly - I have no real answer for this. I’m not a big fan of dubs, and almost every series I’ve watched already has one. Next question.
Which anime character do you believe has the best suited character voice? Not necessarily your favorite character or the best voice performance, but which voice defines the character themselves.
• LiteSpeed - Edward Elric. The first anime I bought on DVD and started to watch, Vic Mignogna really kept me watching with his portrayal of Ed. He made that character oh so very lifelike. Plus got me into voice acting, so that’s got to mean something.
• Drago - I would have to split my vote between two anime characters voices, and that would be Hellsing, and the other would have to be the Butler from Black Butler.
• Amui - Edward Elric, a voice that defines going from innocence to chaos in the blink of an eye.
• Camajak - I would say just about anyone in the Death Note series. Most notably, L. His quick, witty talk definitely fits his character. In both Japanese AND English, it fit, which made it amazing.
• Sogeking - Brook from One Piece. That voice really fits well for him. From his great singing to how polite he is, even when he is trying to get a peek at someone’s panties. That skeleton has a great set of lungs.
• Oni - Rika Furude from “When the Cicadas Cry” (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni), in both the English and Japanese dub’s. Rika has two voices, essentially, her cutsey girly voice, and her mature, wise, scary voice. The American dub may have been a tiny bit lacking on the cutsey area, but my oh me, great job on the mature voice.
Her voice just fits so perfectly, especially when you think about how she is able to contrast two personalities with two voices so well (anyone familiar with the characters knows where I’m coming from there, nipah~). It definitely defines her characters and is probably one of her most memorable aspects (well…other than the whole neck stabbing thing).
• Bonediddly - I’m going to go with Vash. I’m not a fan of Bosch(or dubs) but he really nailed this one. Whether goofy or serious his voice just exemplifies everything that is the insanity known as Vash the Stampede.
If you were to cosplay any character who would it be and what series would it be from? (Keep in mind you aren’t paying for this costume, so go wild)
• LiteSpeed - I think I could pull of Snow Villiers from good old Final Fantasy XIII pretty well. If I forget to shave, I think I develop a Snow-like appearance. All I’d need is the hair, and the bandana…and the coat. And so on and so forth.
• Drago - If i could cosplay as any Character I would definitely do a Kyou Kara Maou Yuuri cosplay but not his normal one, the one when he is in Maou Mode.
• Amui - Gintoki from Gintama, his outfit is just so simple yet appealing.
• Camajak - Oh wow, let’s see… I bet I would go for Mikuru from the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Or maybe Arancar Orihime? There’s so many possibilities. No. Wait. Scratch all of that. I would love Konoka Konoe from Negima! Magister Negi Magi. She has such beautiful, elaborate costumes, which are just amazing. Yeah, I would have to go with Konoka!
• Sogeking - Honestly, I would really like to cosplay as Sogeking from One Piece. I know it’s not the wildest cosplay I could do but I would have it made really well and put a lot of work into making a nice solid mask and not look so papier mache. It would also be my first real cosplay. I have never went to a convention and cosplayed before, but I have really wanted to do it, I wanted to do it when I was in better shape. Normally I told my friends that I didn’t want to be the heavier set anime character that gets displayed on a fail poster.
• Oni - Abel Nightroad from Trinity Blood. He’s just…so perfect. Plus, he wears glasses, and so do I…it makes it easier on the eyes.
• Bonediddly - Makato Shishio. Best waste of medical supplies ever.
Over the years Team Rocket have failed to steal Pikachu, what would be your evil scheme to capture the yellow rodent?
• LiteSpeed - Horse tranquillizer and a Pokéball. That is all.
• Drago - I would use a gun shoot ash in the forehead and then use a hypno to use hypnosis on the yellow rodent.
• Amui -
1. Use half nekkid Camajak as a distraction for Ash, he must be like 15 by now?
2. Steal der Pikachu!
• Camajak - But I can’t be mean to that little yellow rodent…! ;__;
• Sogeking - Well here’s my plan. I would seek out Jigglypuff, where ever she went off to, and have her sing to Ash and the gang. Once they are asleep. I would take Pikachu and put him in special insulated box that would be so small, Pikachu couldn’t use Iron Tail either. I would keep Jigglypuff that to keep singing until I was regions away from them, leaving no trail to find me. After that, I guess I go give it to Giovanni or something and let him use it for whatever task he wants it for.
• Oni - A giant mousetrap vehicle that had tons of berries and Poke-blocks as a trap. Oh, and it’d be immune to electricity. Has that been done before…probably.
• Bonediddly - Shoot the kid and tranquilize the rat. This isn’t rocket science.
Who is your favorite villain in anime history? Are they the embodiment of all evil or a mere pest?
• LiteSpeed - Another tough one – curse you, Eagle Eyed child! This is between Dante from FMA and Lelouch from Code Geass. Ok, I know Lelouch isn’t really a villain, but he could be. He doesn’t care for ANYONE! Well, other than his sister, but still. As for Dante, she’s a cruel manipulative old witch but a very well written one despite how much I hated her xD
• Drago - I don’t have a favorite villain, I never usually payed attention to the villains.
• Amui - Makoto Shishio from Rurouni Kenshin, this dude was so bad his own guys were ordered to betray him and light him on fire, but that just wasn’t enough for ol’ Shishio since he decided to come back and take over the entire freakin’ government.
• Camajak -I would say Akito from Fruits Basket. Though he/she is more of just a general antagonist, He/She gives an obstacle for all the characters to overcome, and creates goals for them to reach. He/She makes the plot, too, and has a major influence over everything that happens in the series.
• Sogeking - When it comes to villains, I’m just a sucker for the One Wing Angel himself, Sephiroth. The lone angel wing and very long sword, coupled with almost destroying the world are just great traits for a truly evil villain.
• Oni - I’m not exactly into anime that house “villains”…but if I had to pick someone, I would go with the NHK from ‘Welcome to The NHK’. While technically a fabricated villain, the NHK is played out so well that you’re always thinking “You’re such an idiot Satou (main character), it’s not there…oh, kick its ??? anyway! It’s all a conspiracy”. For those of you out there not familiar with Japanese broadcasting channels, the NHK is the ‘Japanese Broadcasting Station’.
• Bonediddly - The previously mentioned Makato Shishio. When your only motivation is to create chaos it’s hard not to be a badass villain. Not hesitating to stab his most loyal companion to get one in on his enemy, and still charismatically wielding the loyalty of his minions, nothing is quite beyond this mummy… even conquering hell (I thinking I’m kinda leaning towards “embodiment of all evil”).
Anime of the day – BLACK Butler – What are your thoughts on the series? Have you seen it? Have you heard of it? After a quick Wikipedia search does it look interesting?
• LiteSpeed - Ok, now I heard talk about this series on the IRC the other day. However, I haven’t seen it nor know all that much about it. Lemme see…. *opens Wikipedia* Now then… the plot summary sounds pretty interesting. It’s set in London for crying out loud, don’t they know anime is banned there! Certainly looks like one to check out at some point.
• Drago - I have watched through the entire Black Butler Series and yes it has some very close similarities with Hellsing but it has its own comedy and I would Advise anyone that loves a dark but funny anime to watch at least a few episodes and anyone who was a fan of Hellsing should also watch it.
• Amui - I’ve heard of it before but do not plan to see it, just not really my cup of tea.
• Camajak - Why, yes, I have heard of Black Butler. A good friend of mine is big into the series, I just haven’t gotten around to watching the anime or reading the manga. I don’t know much about it, but I think it looks decently interesting, and very entertaining! Eventually, I will pick it up, and I bet I will love it.
• Sogeking - I have never seen Black Butler and I think the only time I have heard of it was seeing someone list it under something they have read or watched…not sure which. After a quick read on Wikipedia, it’s plot seems a little lacking and from watching a few clips of it on Youtube, I really didn’t find anything to draw me in. The one thing that I did see was that the property is spread across lots of mediums and even has a musical. I think I will watch it properly and hopefully these problems plaguing England will be solved in some cool…I mean they have to be since he has demon powers, I don’t see what could go wrong there
• Oni - Yes, I have heard about it. A lot of people seem to be flocking to it, specially at the last convention I went to. Sadly, I have not seen it before…because I didn’t know that was the exact name of the anime. Tee hee.
It definitely does look interesting, but it looks a tad same-y? The opposite to Hell Girl (Jigoku Shoujo) in the means of character gender, but the plot looks to be loosely similar, too. I may look into watching it, as it seems a sequel has been announced.
• Bonediddly - *one quick Wikipedia search later* With a good charismatic lead, that sounds like it could be amazing. *adds to list*
And so ends our journey today If you would like to ask a question for a future round table, or possibly answer some questions yourself, leave a comment bellow, or send me a message on the forums right here at 91.8 The Fan.
Until next time, EagleEyes out.